As of 1 October 2015 Online Accounting and Taxation Solutions has changed name to Affinitas Accounting, you have now been redirected to the new page.

BBQ Talk 8

My partner and I jointly own a rental property which is negatively geared, but we claim all the loss on the return of the person in the higher tax bracket.


If you jointly own a rental property with your partner, then the income and expenses must be shared 50:50 and declared on your tax returns in this manner.

If you are planning to purchase a rental property and there is a significant difference in incomes, then you should seek advice BEFORE you purchase to ensure you are getting the best desired tax outcome.

Need friendly advice? Talk to our staff today about how we can help your business succeed.

Subscribe to Affinitas Accounting's newsletter for our latest updates, tips of the trade in your email inbox.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.