As of 1 October 2015 Online Accounting and Taxation Solutions has changed name to Affinitas Accounting, you have now been redirected to the new page.

Is my main residence capital gains tax exempt if I rent it out? – BBQ Talk 25

Is my main residence capital gains tax exempt if I rent it out? I hear we have 6 years to rent it out for.

Ans (Rika from Affinitas)

When you rent out your main residence and don’t have another main residence within those 6 years (i.e. you decide to rent somewhere else), then generally yes your property will be CGT exempt. However, if you buy a new property to live in or move in with a spouse into their main residence, etc. this means the 6 year exemption no longer applies.

Exemptions are not always straight forward so always be sure to discuss your ideas with us to get the right advice to avoid any nasty surprises down the line.

If you are interested in the services that we offer and would like to have a chat with one of our friendly staff, please contact us on 3359 5244, visit our website or come see us in our Aspley Office and let us explain what we can do for you!



For rent



Need friendly advice? Talk to our staff today about how we can help your business succeed.

Subscribe to Affinitas Accounting's newsletter for our latest updates, tips of the trade in your email inbox.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.